November 20, 2007

The keep-it-simple panini


Sometimes you simply don't feel like trying new food and you only want to have ham and cheese. This is the perfect keep-it-simple panino for those occasions: prosciutto, mozzarella, some olive oil and cheese focaccia rolls are all you need. The result is the mouth-watering Italian version of the classic French croque-monsieur. I got some wonderful cheesy focaccini rolls at Trader Joe's and Italian fresh mozzarella cheese at Di Bruno Brothers. I put 3 slices of paper-thin prosciutto on each roll, then two not too thin slices of mozzarella, some olive oil and that's it. Well, I couldn't keep myself from adding some basil. I set my panini grill at medium temperature and I grilled the panini for about 5 minutes. The focaccini rolls have this cheesy layer on top, and when grilled they turn golden, crispy and even cheesier. So, for this Italian-French experience what you need is:

Ingredients

2 rolls of cheese focaccia bread sliced in half
4 ounces prosciutto
4 ounces mozzarella cheese
Some basil
Olive oil

When I visit Paris, I love to start my day with a café au lait and a croque monsieur sitting on a lively terrace. This simple panino reminds me of that, with a magic Italian touch.
Posted by Daziano at 7:30 AM |  
Labels:

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin